As a Momma Bear, I want to create a welcoming and safe space where anyone can ask and find answers for all their questions relating to disabilities as well as tips on organization, self-care, planning for the future, and, eventually, some free resources.
If you aren’t sure this space is for you, just know that you are in the right place if…
- You experience a disability – physical, intellectual/developmental, mental health, etc.
- Are the parent or a caregiver of someone with a disability.
- You have questions – everything from what is an intellectual disability to how to start a Special Needs Trust to what is Supported Decision Making.
- You want to be a better advocate for yourself and/or others.
- Educational options and opportunities that are available for disabled people, is something you need to know more about.
Having the knowledge to make informed decisions for yourself or your loved one with disabilities is very important to being able to live life to it’s fullest. Having a trusted source you can turn to for information is crucial, especially if your family is in crisis. If one person asks a question, it means there are dozens more out there that haven’t asked it yet. Don’t hesitate to ask questions; asking questions is advocacy and advocacy is never wrong.
I am the mother to a young man with many disabilities who was born 10 1/2 weeks early. Because of his prematurity and the challenges that arose from that, we have always had to advocate for him. To get information, diagnosis, therapies and resources.
Our greatest frustration has been that we had to fight for every scrap of information. No one ever said, hey, since your son has cerebral palsy, you might want to connect with Shriner’s for orthopedic equipment. Because he has symptoms of (XYZ), we might want to have him tested for (ABC). Here is a great webinar on creating a special needs trust.
Momma and Poppa Bears don’t have the time and energy to track these things down on our own. That’s why having other parents like us in our circle is so important. We like to share information to make each other’s journey a little easier.
Welcome to my family of Momma and Poppa Bears!
If there are certain topics you are interested in, leave a comment below and I will post on those subjects sooner rather than later.